FIRE & RESCUE SERVICE WARNINGS


Firefighters are urging people to take care when charging e-cigarettes following a recent product recall and an incident in Milton Keynes, UK.

It was reported that an unknown brand of e-cigarette exploded and caused fire damage to the floor of a house while being charged. It had been on charge for between 60 and 90 minutes.

The e-cigarette and charger had been bought from a market stall in central Milton Keynes earlier in the day. The product came without a mains adaptor, so the USB was plugged into a mains adaptor from a different kit.

The incident is being investigated by Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service and Milton Keynes Trading Standards.

In February 2015, the charity Electrical Safety First announced a recall of the mains adaptor supplied with ClearSmoke e-cigarettes, with warnings of a risk of electric shock from the device due to inadequate construction.


...and tumble dryer fault leads to fire warning


A building fire in Colwyn Bay has prompted a warning from fire officers about the dangers of unsafe electrical appliances.

North Wales fire and rescue service attended a fire caused by an electrical fault in a tumble dryer in the garage of a property.

Gwynn Jones, community safety manager, said "Once again this incident demonstrates the importance of using electrical items correctly, and operating them in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

"Always check electrical items and leads for signs of damage or wear, do not use old or dangerous electrical items and never overload sockets, as this substantially increases the risk of a serious fire.

"We attend around 470 accidental fires in dwellings each year and electricity or electrical items are responsible for over 300 of these fires."



EE recalls fire-risk Power Bar smartphone charger

5 August 2015

EE has identified five incidents where power bars overheated

UK mobile firm EE has recalled a portable charger it had given away after a medical student was left with severe burns when using one.

EE said that it had identified five incidents where its Power Bars had overheated and as a result was recalling one of the batches.

That amounts to about 500,000 units, according to the firm.

As a gesture of goodwill it will be offering affected customers a £20 voucher to spend on accessories.

In a statement, the firm said: "We have identified a very small number of incidents where Power Bars have overheated, all of which relate to batch E1-06 (written as Model:E1-06 on side), and could pose a fire safety risk.

"We are therefore recalling this batch, and requesting customers to stop using the Power Bar and return them to a local store at their earliest convenience.
A medical student spent hours in hospital after being burned by an overheating EE phone charger
Medical student Katy Emslie, from Aberdeen, suffered severe burns when her phone charger exploded and set fire to her bedroom floor.

EE began giving away the smartphone charger to every customer in April. It also let customers trade in a flat one for a fully charged one.
The gadget has a charging indicator that shows how much charge is left on a mobile and will allow users to completely charge a dead smartphone battery once.
The device was rolled out after research suggested that nearly 60% of smartphone users found that their phone batteries did not last for a full day.
EE was swamped with requests for the charger and estimates that there are now 1.5 million in circulation. EE stated that only the batch identified was affected.
EE phone charger 'explodes': Student sustains burns as bedroom floor catches fire
27 July 2015

IS YOUR HOTPOINT, CREDA, OR INDESIT TUMBLE DRYER A FIRE RISK?


An estimated 30 million machines made by the Whirlpool Corporation under its Hotpoint, Creda, and Indesit Brands are in U.K. households, these brands are a potential fire risk and need to be repaired. In rare circumstances, excess fluff can catch in the dryers heating mechanism and set alight.

The issues affect air vented and condensed tumble dryers manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015; it does not affect washer dryers. Whirlpool is offering a free repair for owners of any affected machines and has set up a dedicated website where you can check if your dryer is one of those that needs to be repaired.

Owners will need to find the model and serial numbers on their machine and put them into the websites model check. These can be found on a tag that is located on the dryer door, either in the recess or on the back. If your dryer is a Hotpoint or Creda, you can checke weter or not you need the repair by putting the serial number through the Hotpoint site; if its an Indesit, you can check via the Indesit site.


NOVEMBER's electrical safety week highlights the need for pat testing


Electrical Safety Week gained considerable news coverage as part of its campaign to raise awareness of some of the biggest causes of accidental house fires in the U.K.

Fire and Rescue services across the country hosted special events and electrical equipment safety testing sessions (pat testing) to highlight the largely unknown risks associated with the use of faulty or damaged electrical appliances. According to British Fire Statistics, there were 35,000 accidental house fires in 2013/2014 - 5,400 were caused by faulty appliances and 13,000 by misuse of appliances.

Illustrating this point Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service reported that a quarter of all fires in Shropshire homes last year were caused by electrical appliances, typically involving portable heaters, chargers, washing machines, microwaves, light fittings and toasters.

In East Sussex and Brighton & Hove over half of the accidental fires in 2014/2015 had an electrical ignition source. To highlight the dangers the llocal Fire and Rescue Service hosted 16 electrical blanket testing sessions across all testing sites 661 blankets were tested, 409 passed and 252 failed, an overall failure rate of 38%. On the same subject, 15% of electric blankets tested within Bath and Noerth Somerset failed a safety test, the local council reported.



NEW GUIDANCE ON THE ELECTRICITY AT WORK regulations


A new guidance note is available on the Health and Safety website. The purpose of this guidance is to highlight what can be done by dutyholders to achieve electrical safety compliance with the duties imposed by the regulations. More information can be obtained from the HSE website, please use the link button.




purchasing electrical goods on the internet.


Whilst this is an enjoyable experience for most of us, please be aware that some electrical goods especially phone charges, laptop charges, computer power leads (IEC Lead/Kettle Lead) are not manufactured for the U.K. and in addition to not having any BS standard or Kite Mark in most cases they do not even carry a fuse. Such equipment is dangerous and can cause an electric shock or fire. We find several of these items each week whilst PAT Testing. Substandard cheap and counterfeit chargers can be deadly for more information visit Electrical Safety First.

Additional product recall notices can be found at Electrical Safety first.


BEKO SAFETY WARNING/RECALL FRIDGE FREEZER

PLEASE CHECK YOUR BEKO FRIDGE FREEZER NOW!!


Models affected were manufactured between January 2000 and October 2006. These have a serial number that begins with either 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, or 06, and this information can be found on a label inside the fridge. Beko is making a free of charge modification to all affected models, this modification takes approximately 30mins.


Other BEKO models and all Beko frost free fridge freezers manufactured after this date are unaffected.


Affected model numbers: CA5411, FFS/FFW/FFX, CA 7014 FFX, CA7015, FFW,FFS/FFX, CDA 539 FS/FW/FX, CDA 543 FS/FW/FX, CDA 645 FW, CDA 647 FS/FW, CDA 648 FS/FW, CDA 653 FS/FW/FX, CDA 659 FS, CDA 751 FS/FX, CDA 752 FS/FW/FX, CS 490, FF/FFS/FFW/FFSD, CS 461 FFW/FFS, CSA 4706, FFSD/FFS/FFW, CSB 4606


WE URGE YOU TO CONTACT BEKO IMMEDIATELY ABOUT THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE.

SHOULD YOUR FRIDGE/FREEZER BE ONE OF THE AFFECTED MODEL NUMBERS BEKO ARE ADVISING CUSTOMERS TO PLEASE IMMEDIATELY SWITCH OFF & UNPLUG FROM THE MAINS.


In addition there is also a safety warning on Beko Leisure & Flavel Gas Cookers manufactured prior to 2009.

These appliances are designed for cooking purposes only and must not be used as a space heater or for any other purpose. For more information on affected models please contact Beko.